Ironmaster Quick-Lok Adjustable Dumbbells
Pros & Cons
9 Reasons To Buy
- Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbbells are some of the most popular dumbbells with interchangeable weights on the market.
- Unlike most other adjustable dumbbells, Ironmaster’s shape is very similar to a traditional dumbbell. This makes them great for most movements, even things like goblet squats and various presses.
- The Quick-Lock system on Ironmasters works exactly as advertised. The weights are easy and quick to change out and the lock does hold tight, although we wouldn’t recommend dropping them from overhead (although yes, we have done this and it didn’t cause any issues.)
- Due to the way the plates are added, you can have weight in 5 LB increments from 5 LB (empty handle) all the way up to 120 LB, although they do get very bulky above 100 LB.
- The handles are knurled making them feel similar to a barbell or many dumbbells (they have a straight shaft, so a bit different from a hex-head dumbbell.) This is superior, in my opinion, to the rubber handles seen on Powerblocks and Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Dumbbells.
- This is for adjustable dumbbells in general, but, for a home gym, Ironmasters are a much better choice than a full set of fixed dumbbells due to how little space they take up.
- The ends of Ironmasters are flat, making it easy to rest them on your knees before starting a set of bench press or shoulder press. Loadable dumbbells can’t really compete with this as they will dig into your legs.
- Ironmasters are very affordable. They’re not as cheap as Bowflex’s options, but they offer a higher maximum weight. In general, they are a bit cheaper than Powerblocks depending on the model.
- Due to the popularity of their adjustable dumbbells, Ironmaster has created various accessories for them like fat grip adapters, stands, kettlebell handles, and other optional attachments that can increase their versatility.
4 Reasons Not To Buy
- Ironmasters are not the only adjustable dumbbell available. Loadable dumbbells can be had for less and they use existing Olympic plates you already own. Powerblocks and Bowflex SelectTech are both good options as well.
- Changing the weight out on Ironmasters is not as easy as it is on Powerblocks. The Quick-Lock does work well and is a smart invention, but placing plates and adding up the weight can be time-consuming and therefore less likely to be used.
- The plates for Ironmasters are cast iron and therefore are prone to cracking if dropped.
- Ironmasters are not designed for the abuse of things like dumbbell snatches that are often done in CrossFit.
Related In-Depth Product Reviews
Ironmaster Quick-Lock Adjustable Dumbbells Review: The Lifter's Choice Dumbbells
February 3, 2021
Serious Dumbbells for serious powerlifters
I love Powerblocks. I think that they are the best adjustable dumbbells on the market for MOST everyone. The ease of adjustment are really what sets them apart. However, powerblocks have limitations. They don't have the real of "real gym" dumbbells and some exercises can not be performed with their shape. However, the biggest limitation in my mind is weight. Powerblocks are really only useful to 90lbs. After that they get crazy expensive and frankly just too large to use. This is where Ironmaster really rules the roost. If you are a power lifter who requires dumbbells over 90 lbs each, it's an easy choice. Ironmasters feel like gym dumbbells and are quite manageable even up to 135lbs. I would also recommend buying the heavy handle kit as it makes them even easier to use at high weights. The adjustment isn't the easiest, it's also not the hardest. They rest comfortably on your thighs before performing lifts, and you can perform any lift with these that you can at your local globo gym. I'm a power lifter so I give these 5*s. If I were not, I'd probably give them 31/2 and buy Powerblocks.
Ironmaster Quick-Lock Dumbell system is the latest generation of our adjustable dumbbells. You can quickly adjust each dumbbell from 5-75 lbs with our patented quick lock design in under 15 seconds! The set includes the Stand at no extra charge. Now you can have a complete set of free weight dumbbells at home that feel just like traditional dumbbells with no restrictions, rattling or safety concerns!
Set includes two handles with four locking screws, 24 ea. 5 lb plates and 4 ea. 2.5 lb plates and dumbbell stand. Handles weigh 5 lbs empty and each locking screw weighs 2.5 lbs so the starting weight is 10 lbs each dumbbell before plates are added. 65 lbs of plates can be put loaded on each handle. Add-on kit available to go up to 120 lbs each dumbbell. Dimensions are just 6.5" x 6.5" x 14.5" at the 75lb size. Heavy Duty - go ahead and drop them. No plastic or fragile parts!
- Quick-Lock design adjusts from 5-75 lbs in 2 1/2 lb increments in just seconds!
- Super heavy duty construction with welded steel, chrome plated handles.
- System includes two adjustable dumbbells at 75 lbs each (150 lbs total) and Dumbbell Stand.
- Super space efficient design. Takes up less than 2 square feet.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- Made in USA