We test and review fitness products based on an independent, multi-point methodology. If you use our links to purchase something, we may earn a commission. Read our disclosures.
- Portable rowing ERG system comes with a base unit and one row accessory
- Any handle that clips with a carabiner is compatible with the Whipr base unit
- Features a handle for portability, anchor system, onboard ERG system which provides real-time fitness metrics including strokes per minute, split time, time to complete, average watts, and calories burned
- Resistance stems from a planetary gearbox and flywheel but additional resistance is possible with magnets
- Not designed for high-intensity sprints such as those seen in CrossFit style workouts
See our in-depth review of the Whipr Rower below.
Pros & Cons
What we like about the product...
- Can function as a rower, stand up paddle, ski erg, and to mimic swimming with different attachments
- Compatible with any carabiner handle
- Base unit comes with a carry bag
What needs improvement...
- Poor resistance
- Weak warranty
- Users report it is difficult to get stable footing
- Not suited for sprints
- Max supported split time is only 1:35 for 500 meters
Product Summary & Specs
The Whipr Rower is a portable row machine which allows users to bring their workout anywhere they go. It is one of the few, if only, rowers that can be transported in something as small as a backpack. While the Whipr Rower, it is not intended for high-intensity workouts, it is a solid option for the casual rower short on space. The maximum resistance is just 850 knots with a split time of 1:35 for every 500 meters which will likely be insufficient for more experienced rowers.
10 levels of resistance for this cardio machine stem from a planetary gearbox and flywheel. However, users report that the resistance is weaker than you would find on a traditional rower. The Whipr Rower features a handle for portability, an anchor, and onboard ERG system which provides real-time fitness metrics including strokes per minute, split time, time to complete, average watts, and calories burned.
The Whipr Rower comes with a base unit and one row accessory but is compatible with any handle that uses a carabiner. Unique to the Whipr design is its ability to function as a rower, ski erg, stand up paddle and mimics swimming thanks to the simple carabiner attachment.
6.75”L x 6.5”W x 6.5” H
|Pull cord length|
Up to 850 kN
|Max sustained split time|
1-year warranty, 10-day return policy