Rogue Ohio Power Bar
We test and review fitness products based on an independent, multi-point methodology. If you use our links to purchase something, we may earn a commission. Read our disclosures.
See our in-depth video review of Rogue Ohio Power Bar.
Pros & Cons
What we like about the product...
- The Ohio Power Bar is largely considered the best value power bar ever created.
- The knurling features a "volcano" pattern that allows the hand to grip more surface area of the bar.
- The "volcano" style knurl also increases your grip while lowering the potential for ripping a callous. Contrasted with the Texas Power Bar, it feels just as secure without the sharpness.
- The 20 Kilogram version of the OPB is IPF Approved by the International Powerlifting Association.
- As with nearly all of Rogue's barbells, the OPB features a lifetime warranty.
- There are four coating options including bare steel, black zinc, Cerakote, and our favorite, stainless steel.
- The OPB is made in the USA at Rogue's factory in Columbus, Ohio of US-sourced steel.
- The tensile strength of the Ohio Power Bar is 205K PSI Tensile Strength which is very strong.
- The F-Rating is an F-8R which is one of the highest-rated bars on the market.
- Self-oiling bronze bushings are utilized for spinning the sleeves. These are known to last a long time and perform admirably.
What needs improvement...
- The 205K PSI Tensile Strength although strong enough for nearly everyone, is not the strongest on the market and therefore a bit whippier than some competitors like the Kabuki New Generation Bar.
- If you're used to the aggressiveness of the Texas Power Bar from Buddy Capps, you may feel like the OPB is too passive.
- Many users have claimed that the Bare Steel Version rusts quickly which is to be expected if not maintained with 3-in-1 oil and left in fluctuating temps like a garage gym experiences.
Product Summary & Specs
Fully machined and assembled in Columbus, OH, the 29MM Rogue Ohio Power Bar features a 205,000 PSI steel shaft (200,000 PSI for Stainless), single powerlifting knurl marks, and center knurling. The bar’s knurl pattern is deep and coarse without being sharp or abrasive, and the 29MM shaft diameter and high tensile strength result in little to no flex or whip. This makes the Ohio Power Bar a perfectly honed workhorse for the bench, squat, and deadlift.
The 45LB Ohio Power Bar includes bronze bushings, a snap ring design, and 16.25″ of loadable sleeve length.
When ordering, you can select from three finish options:
- Black Zinc shaft with Bright Zinc sleeves
- Stainless Steel shaft with Chrome sleeves
- Bare Steel
Rogue also manufactures a 20KG Ohio Power Bar, with friction-welded sleeves and 16.25″ loadable sleeve space.
The Ohio Power Bar’s 29MM diameter steel shaft boasts a tensile strength of 205,000 PSI (200,000 PSI for Stainless), delivering superior rigidity and virtually zero whip/flex. Machined and assembled in Columbus, Ohio, the bar also features a snap-ring design and quality bronze bushings for a smooth, consistent feel.
The bar includes single powerlifting marks and a center knurl, each featuring a deep, coarse pattern that produces a reliable grip / stick without being sharp or abrasive. Perfecting this knurl pattern is both a science and an art. Every bar shaft is machined in Columbus on new Haas machines (built in the USA) and fine-tuned and personally tested by the Rogue team.
Depending on the look and feel you prefer, there is a version of the Ohio Power Bar right in your wheelhouse. The Zinc option (black shaft, bright sleeves) provides excellent corrosion resistance, the Bare Steel creates a classic look and natural feel, and the new Stainless Steel variation (with Chrome sleeves) strikes a balance between the two.
The Ohio Power Bar’s quality construction is backed by Rogue’s Lifetime Warranty against bending. This is a barbell equipped for high intensity, everyday use. Please Note: The warranty does not cover damage due to negligent or faulty use, alteration, maintenance, storage or handling by the user, i.e., dropping the bar on a box, bench, spotter arms or pins in a power rack, excessive dropping with insufficient or damaged bumpers, or excessive dropping with iron plates, and similar usage. Any specific issues regarding a Rogue product with which a customer is not satisfied will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
bare-steel, black-zinc-w–bright-zinc, stainless-steel-w–chrome
|Loadable Sleeve Length|
200,000 PSI / 205,000 PSI
|Made In USA|