Ironmaster Quick-Lock Adjustable Dumbbells
We test and review fitness products based on an independent, multi-point methodology. If you use our links to purchase something, we may earn a commission. Read our disclosures.
- Quickly adjustable in under 15 seconds
- Adjustable from 5 to 75 lbs
- Patented quick-lock design
- Includes a stand
See our in-depth video review of Ironmaster Quick-Lock Adjustable Dumbbells.
Pros & Cons
What we like about the product...
- Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbbells are some of the most popular dumbbells with interchangeable weights on the market.
- Unlike most other adjustable dumbbells, Ironmaster's shape is very similar to a traditional dumbbell. This makes them great for most movements, even things like goblet squats and various presses.
- The Quick-Lock system on Ironmasters works exactly as advertised. The weights are easy and quick to change out and the lock does hold tight, although we wouldn't recommend dropping them from overhead (although yes, we have done this and it didn't cause any issues.)
- Due to the way the plates are added, you can have weight in 5 LB increments from 5 LB (empty handle) all the way up to 120 LB, although they do get very bulky above 100 LB.
- The handles are knurled making them feel similar to a barbell or many dumbbells (they have a straight shaft, so a bit different from a hex-head dumbbell.) This is superior, in my opinion, to the rubber handles seen on Powerblocks and Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Dumbbells.
- This is for adjustable dumbbells in general, but, for a home gym, Ironmasters are a much better choice than a full set of fixed dumbbells due to how little space they take up.
- The ends of Ironmasters are flat, making it easy to rest them on your knees before starting a set of bench press or shoulder press. Loadable dumbbells can't really compete with this as they will dig into your legs.
- Ironmasters are very affordable. They're not as cheap as Bowflex's options, but they offer a higher maximum weight. In general, they are a bit cheaper than Powerblocks depending on the model.
- Due to the popularity of their adjustable dumbbells, Ironmaster has created various accessories for them like fat grip adapters, stands, kettlebell handles, and other optional attachments that can increase their versatility.
What needs improvement...
- Ironmasters are not the only adjustable dumbbell available. Loadable dumbbells can be had for less and they use existing Olympic plates you already own. Powerblocks and Bowflex SelectTech are both good options as well.
- Changing the weight out on Ironmasters is not as easy as it is on Powerblocks. The Quick-Lock does work well and is a smart invention, but placing plates and adding up the weight can be time-consuming and therefore less likely to be used.
- The plates for Ironmasters are cast iron and therefore are prone to cracking if dropped.
- Ironmasters are not designed for the abuse of things like dumbbell snatches that are often done in CrossFit.
Product Summary & Specs
The Quick-Lock Dumbbell system is the latest iteration of Ironmaster’s adjustable dumbbells. The dumbbells can be quickly adjusted in under 15 seconds due to the Ironmaster quick-lock design. The dumbbells adjustable weights range from 5 to 75 pounds. With your purchase of these dumbbells, you also get the stand for no extra charge. These give you a complete set of free weight dumbbells that feel like traditional dumbbells without restrictions, rattling, or safety concerns.
This set includes two handles with four locking screws. Each weight has 24 5-pound plates and 4 2.5-pound plates. Included with purchase is a dumbbell stand. Since the handles are 5 pounds when empty and the locking screw is 2.5 pounds, the starting weight is 10 pounds for each dumbbell before you add plates. You can load up to 65 pounds of plates to each handle. You can also purchase an add-on kit that goes up to 120 pounds for each dumbbell. The dimensions are 6.5 x 6.5 x 14.5 inches at the 75-pound size.
- The Quick-Lock design adjusts from 5 to 75 lbs in 2.5-lb increments
- They are constructed with welded steel and chrome-plated handles
- The system has two adjustable dumbbells at 75 lbs each (150 lbs total) and a dumbbell stand
- Space efficient design that takes up less than 2 sq. ft.
- Limited lifetime warranty
|Made In USA|