Kabuki Strength Transformer Bar
We test and review fitness products based on an independent, multi-point methodology. If you use our links to purchase something, we may earn a commission. Read our disclosures.
The Transformer Bar is practically 3 bars in one. Using the first lever height, the bar’s mechanics act identically to a Duffalo Bar and allows for a similar squat movement pattern as a regular bar.Manufacturer: Kabuki StrengthCategory: Safety Squat Bars
See our in-depth video review of Kabuki Strength Transformer Bar.
Pros & Cons
What we like about the product...
- The Transformer Bar from the minds of Chris Duffin and Kabuki Strength is the highest quality and feature-rich safety squat bar on the market.
- The idea behind the Transformer Bar is that it can have a similar stimulus as three other bars, but in one package. One setting feels like a Duffalo Bar, one feels like a cambered bar, and one feels like a traditional safety squat bar
- Weighing in at 20KG/44 LBs, the Transformer Bar is one of the only specialty bars on the market that weights similar to an Olympic barbell.
- The handles on are knurled which is not normally done, yet provides a great grip.
- The sleeves are machined to a standard Olympic diameter of 2" which prevents there being much slop with plates on the bar and allows you to use standard collars.
- The padding is a high-density foam that despite being used a lot in a commercial setting, still looks as good as new.
- The pad cover is a durable synthetic leather that feels good and doesn't soak up sweat.
- It can easily be disassembled for easier transportation.
- Made in Portland, Oregon, USA
- The bar is coated in a black oxide finish that prevents corrosion.
- Thanks to the stiffness of the shaft and 16" loadable sleeve length, the bar is capable of holding any weight you can lift. Kabuki actually teased lifting a rock-crawling truck with it and a forklift.
What needs improvement...
- Like other Kabuki Strength Bars, the Transformer Bar is pricey at over $600.
- Although the angle bracket and design is great for different positions, it isn't the easiest to change out which leads many people to not even use the feature.
- The edges of the 12-point bracket aren't rounded which can lead to you cutting your skin (we had it happen.)
Product Summary & Specs
The Transformer Bar is practically 3 bars in one. Using the first lever height, the bar’s mechanics act identically to a Duffalo Bar and allows for a similar squat movement pattern as a regular bar. The Transformer Bar also acts like a regular cambered bar, and of course it is a fully adjustable Safety Squat Bar (SSB) with an industry-first adjustable camber angle and lever height. It allows the lifter to control the height of the camber (4 different settings) as well as the angle (variable by 30 degrees all the way around).
The weight horn also allows for 4 camber heights. The first one (A) allows for a position similar to a straight bar on your back (due to the height of the pad, the center of the sleeve in position A almost aligns with the center of the center bar). In combination with the 12 camber angles, these 4 heights allow for a total of 36 different positions on the bar. Name one other bar that can be used 36 different ways in a single movement like the squat?
This feature is the bread-and-butter of the Transformer Bar. A proprietary 12-angle bracket allows for 360 degrees of variation (30 degree increments) in angle of the weight relative to the lifter. Why did we do this? So the bar could be used as both a regular cambered bar, and a safety squat bar while still allowing for lifters to experiment and train in ways they’ve never been able to before! Here at the Lab we are constantly experimenting different, more extreme positions of the Transformer Bar and will share with all users what we discover. For now, be aware that you can have a bar in your possession that allows for functions and training methods previously impossible – so be careful and tread wisely! It’s an exiting bar and who knows what uses and methodologies we’ll discover in the future utilizing this bar!
|Made In USA|
|Loadable Sleeve Length|
High-density foam (30kg/m3)