Vulcan Alpha Bumper Plates
We test and review fitness products based on an independent, multi-point methodology. If you use our links to purchase something, we may earn a commission. Read our disclosures.
This unique rubber compound is not found in any other bumper plate. (Patent Pending).Manufacturer: Vulcan StrengthCategory: Uncategorized
Pros & Cons
What we like about the product...
- Vulcan Strength Alpha Bumpers are some of the most well-liked bumper plates on the market. We constantly get emails and messages from people espousing their love for the Alphas.
- Durability is the standout feature of the Alpha Bumpers. These are designed and warrantied for both indoor and outdoor use. This means you can lift on the concrete without the worry of severely damaging the plates or voiding your warranty.
- The Alpha's use a unique color pattern in which they add colored flecks with the black virgin rubber to make the weight increments easily identifiable.
- The steel insert on the plates is anchored into the rubber which prevents it from detaching as easily in comparison to those that are pressed-in.
- Available in every weight increment including 10 LB, 15 LB, 25 LB, 35 LB, 45 LB, and 55 LB using color-coding that is IWF type coloring.
- 48 Month Warranty is included with the plates which is one of the longest, if not THE longest warranty on bumper plates we've seen.
- Vulcan Strength claims that the Alpha Bumpers make approximately 25% less noise when dropped from a height of 9 FT in comparison to other bumper plates on the market.
- The logo and weight increments are in a white contrasting color which makes them pop and the plates easily identifiable.
- Reviews of the Alpha Bumpers are extremely positive both on Vulcan Strength's website and elsewhere.
What needs improvement...
- Although Vulcan Strength makes claims that the bumpers are more durable and make significantly less noise than their competition, we have yet to see evidence that this is true. In fact, we've reached out and asked for evidence of these claims and have not received any as of this writing.
- The center steel insert hub is not stainless steel.
- For a similar-looking plate, the Rogue Fleck Bumper Plates are cheaper in pairs, but more for sets. However, Rogue does not make the claims that Vulcan does in regards to theirs being more durable and quieter than traditional plates.
Product Summary & Specs
This unique rubber compound is not found in any other bumper plate. (Patent Pending). Alpha Bumpers are not made from recycled rubber! Alpha Bumper plates are made for indoor or outdoor use. These weight plates offer a low bounce on any surface, unlike recycled rubber plates that can bounce dangerously high or “skip” away from you. Alpha Bumpers make approximately 30% less noise when dropped from a height of 9 ft, based on testing with decibel meter . Hearing damage & loss have become issues to some weightlifting coaches and trainers due to the level of noise exposure from multiple athletes dropping bumper plates throughout a training session.If your gym is located in an area where the dropping of weights can cause a disturbance to your neighbors, the 30% reduction of noise can be helpful. The Alpha Bumper plates have a much lower odor than crumb rubber bumper plates or recycled rubber bumper plates.
Bumper Plates Dimensions, Specifications, and Colors:
- Lower profile compared to crumb rubber plates or recycled rubber plates and many other brands of bumper plates
- 10 lb – 1.17 inches, 15.7″ diameter, Grey Fleck
- 15 lb – 1.38 inches, 17.7″ diameter, Orange Fleck
- 25 lb – 1.81 inches, 17.7″ diameter, Green Fleck
- 35 lb – 2.55 inches, 17.7″ diameter, Yellow Fleck
- 45 lb – 2.95 inches, 17.7″ diameter, Blue Fleck
- 55 lb – 3.34 inches, 17.7″ diameter, Red Fleck
- Weight tolerance: +/- 1%
- 10 lb plates are a slightly smaller diameter to add density to the rubber compound to allow for dropping. 10 lb plates can be dropped alone on the ba
- Color-coded with large Flecks of rubber for easy identification from a distance and a really unique look
- Color coding is standard IWF type coloring
- Color Flecks are part of the rubber compound
- Fit tighter together than crumb rubber or recycled rubber bumper plates. Less vibration and wobbling.
- 48-month warranty on 55 lb, 45 lb, 35 lb, 36 months on 25 lb plates, 1 year on 15 lb and 10 lb bumper plates
- Plates can be used outdoors but should be stored indoors when not in use.
|Made In USA|
|10LB Plate Width|
|15LB Plate Width|
|25LB Plate Width|
|35LB Plate Width|
|45LB Plate Width|
|55LB Plate Width|
4 Year Warranty