Rogue Ohio Power Bar
Manufacturer: Rogue Fitness
Pros & Cons
10 Reasons To Buy
- The Ohio Power Bar is largely considered the best value power bar ever created.
- The knurling features a “volcano” pattern that allows the hand to grip more surface area of the bar.
- The “volcano” style knurl also increases your grip while lowering the potential for ripping a callous. Contrasted with the Texas Power Bar, it feels just as secure without the sharpness.
- The 20 Kilogram version of the OPB is IPF Approved by the International Powerlifting Association.
- As with nearly all of Rogue’s barbells, the OPB features a lifetime warranty.
- There are four coating options including bare steel, black zinc, Cerakote, and our favorite, stainless steel.
- The OPB is made in the USA at Rogue’s factory in Columbus, Ohio of US-sourced steel.
- The tensile strength of the Ohio Power Bar is 205K PSI Tensile Strength which is very strong.
- The F-Rating is an F-8R which is one of the highest-rated bars on the market.
- Self-oiling bronze bushings are utilized for spinning the sleeves. These are known to last a long time and perform admirably.
3 Reasons Not To Buy
- The 205K PSI Tensile Strength although strong enough for nearly everyone, is not the strongest on the market and therefore a bit whippier than some competitors like the Kabuki New Generation Bar.
- If you’re used to the aggressiveness of the Texas Power Bar from Buddy Capps, you may feel like the OPB is too passive.
- Many users have claimed that the Bare Steel Version rusts quickly which is to be expected if not maintained with 3-in-1 oil and left in fluctuating temps like a garage gym experiences.
Related In-Depth Product Reviews
Rogue Ohio Power Bar Review (Plus 2-Year Update)
May 29, 2019
The Rogue OPB is The Gold Standard
The Rogue OPB is by far one of the best barbells ever created. I've used the Texas Power Bar and although it's a good bar, the knurling on the ohio power bar is simply the best. However, expect it to tear your shins up if you deadlift with it haha
June 12, 2019
If you were going to buy just one bar with a focus on PL then this is the bar to buy. The knurl is a step above the Zinc version. I'd go stainless if you can simply because the knurl is perfect.
June 15, 2019
We are constructing a boutique gym in Lincoln, Ne that caters to seniors and people with disabilities (we are training clients in our garage now). We own both the Texas Power Bar and the Ohio Power Bar. My husband and trainer has no preference but I prefer the OPB simply because the knurling is less aggressive. There is a reason why so many recommend a Rogue bar. Both bars are of excellent quality. Both of our bars are bare steel.
June 16, 2020
Rogue OPB E-Coat version: Unimpressed by the knurl
If you are looking to get a Rogue OPB E-coat version be wary that the knurling is not aggressive at all. The layer of paint covering the knurling really masks the aggressiveness in exchange for corrosion resistance. It is still one of the best "bang for the buck" barbell and I can't help but give it 4/5 stars but if it did cost even 30$ more, the rating would have to go down significantly.
October 19, 2020
Awesome Power Bar
I have the E-coat version of this bar. The knurling on the bar is very grippy and feels great on your hands. The E-coat did not seem to affect the knurling. The bar looks great as well and is relatively low maintenace. Not a lot of whip and feels extremely stable so it is ideal for the big 3.
Fully machined and assembled in Columbus, OH, the 29MM Rogue Ohio Power Bar features a 205,000 PSI steel shaft (200,000 PSI for Stainless), single powerlifting knurl marks, and center knurling. The bar’s knurl pattern is deep and coarse without being sharp or abrasive, and the 29MM shaft diameter and high tensile strength result in little to no flex or whip. This makes the Ohio Power Bar a perfectly honed workhorse for the bench, squat, and deadlift.
The 45LB Ohio Power Bar includes bronze bushings, a snap ring design, and 16.25" of loadable sleeve length.
When ordering, you can select from three finish options:
- Black Zinc shaft with Bright Zinc sleeves
- Stainless Steel shaft with Chrome sleeves
- Bare Steel
Rogue also manufactures a 20KG Ohio Power Bar, with friction-welded sleeves and 16.25" loadable sleeve space.
The Ohio Power Bar’s 29MM diameter steel shaft boasts a tensile strength of 205,000 PSI (200,000 PSI for Stainless), delivering superior rigidity and virtually zero whip/flex. Machined and assembled in Columbus, Ohio, the bar also features a snap-ring design and quality bronze bushings for a smooth, consistent feel.
The bar includes single powerlifting marks and a center knurl, each featuring a deep, coarse pattern that produces a reliable grip / stick without being sharp or abrasive. Perfecting this knurl pattern is both a science and an art. Every bar shaft is machined in Columbus on new Haas machines (built in the USA) and fine-tuned and personally tested by the Rogue team.
Depending on the look and feel you prefer, there is a version of the Ohio Power Bar right in your wheelhouse. The Zinc option (black shaft, bright sleeves) provides excellent corrosion resistance, the Bare Steel creates a classic look and natural feel, and the new Stainless Steel variation (with Chrome sleeves) strikes a balance between the two.
The Ohio Power Bar’s quality construction is backed by Rogue’s Lifetime Warranty against bending. This is a barbell equipped for high intensity, everyday use. Please Note: The warranty does not cover damage due to negligent or faulty use, alteration, maintenance, storage or handling by the user, i.e., dropping the bar on a box, bench, spotter arms or pins in a power rack, excessive dropping with insufficient or damaged bumpers, or excessive dropping with iron plates, and similar usage. Any specific issues regarding a Rogue product with which a customer is not satisfied will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Bar Type
- Men's Bars
- Bar Use
- Weightlifting, Powerlifting
- Bar Weight
- Center Knurl
- Knurl Marks
- Shaft Coating
- Bar Length
- Loadable Sleeve Length
- Sleeve Coating
- F Rating
- Tensile Strength
- 200,000 PSI / 205,000 PSI
- Lifetime Warranty*
- Made in USA