Concept 2 BikeErg
Manufacturer: Concept 2
Pros & Cons
8 Reasons To Buy
- The Concept 2 BikeErg is as durable an air bike as you’ll find. After putting it through brutal workouts over two years, it still performs like it’s new.
- The monitor that’s used is the same as what’s used on Concept 2’s Model D Rower and SkiErg, the almighty PM5 performance monitor. It’s the best monitor available on any conditioning piece we’ve tested.
- The seat, handlebars, and pedals are all interchangeable with standard bicycle parts.
- Similar to their rower, the front of the BikeErg has a damper that is used to adjust airflow to the flywheel which changes the difficulty.
- The frame of the bike uses a black powder coat with anodized aluminum posts that blends in well with Concept 2’s other machines.
- Instead of chains, the bike uses self-tensioning polygroove belts that provide a quite experience without a lot of maintenances (we’ve yet to do anything to ours.)
- The BikeErg is extremely light at only 58LB when compared to other air bikes making it easy to move around, yet stable thanks to it’s wide legs.
- Nearly every part of the bike is adjustable from the handlebars to the seat post.
3 Reasons Not To Buy
- Many people have complained about the seat not having forward and back travel. One user had this to say about the problem, “The lack of angle adjustment on the saddle is still a problem, I'm working on a custom fix.”
- The seat on the BikeErg is known to not be very comfortable for users although we’ve never experienced much discomfort. One user had this to say, “The huge downside for myself (and everyone is unique) is the saddle hits all the wrong pressure points on my posterior.”
- The height of the seat post has been known to not go low enough for some users. One user said that, “It is a very good stationary bike. However I have the seat in the lowest position and just barely get the proper bend in my leg when I bike. (And I am not that short.)”
Related In-Depth Product Reviews
Concept 2 BikeErg In-Depth Review
The BikeErg is the latest innovation from the makers of the Concept2 Indoor Rower and SkiErg. Utilizing the same advanced engineering principles and PM5 performance monitor as those time-tested machines, the BikeErg is also lighter in weight than most stationary bikes and closer in feel to actual outdoor riding. The design is built around precision flywheel air resistance, creating a workout customized to any athlete who uses it. As you pedal harder, the intensity and challenge of the workout increases accordingly. At the same time, the inclusion of a clutch lets you freewheel like a standard bicycle, while a wide damper range re-creates the effect of changing gears.
The Concept2 BikeErg is portable, easy to assemble, and designed with an adjustable saddle and handlebars. Users can even decide to attach their own bicycle seat, handlebars or pedals (most styles are compatible) to create the ultimate custom indoor bike.
Rather than a chain, the BikeErg features high-strength, self-tensioning polygroove belts, greatly reducing the sound output and making set-up practical in any room of the house.
Included standard with the unit, the PM5 Performance Monitor offers a wide range of instant data feedback, including pace, watts, cadence (rpm) and calories. These statistics are then saved and stored automatically in the monitor’s memory or an optional USB stick. The PM5 has both Bluetooth and ANT+ wireless options, so you can connect to most wireless heart rate belts, as well as Concept2’s ErgData app and other third party apps. The PM5 takes two D-cell batteries and the power is generated by the flywheel when you ride, saving on battery life.
Like the Concept2 Rowers and SkiErg, the BikeErg uses air resistance generated by a fanned flywheel. This makes the machine directly responsive to your own output as you pedal. The inclusion of a special damper also re-creates the effect of shifting gears on a standard bicycle, as the user can alter the amount of air going into the flywheel. By changing settings, you can simulate the experience of a straightaway ride or a challenging uphill climb. The BikeErg is uniquely customizable to the skill sets and preferences of any athlete, regardless of size or experience.
- Flywheel Indoor Fitness Bike
- Footprint: 48” x 24”
- Weight: 58LB (26KG)
- Construction: Welded aluminum frame, steel feet
- Finish: Black powder coat frame, anodized posts
- Polygroove belts with self-tensioning system - quiet operation
- Adjustable seat and handles
- Damper for adjusting airflow to flywheel
- Clutch for freewheeling
- PM5 Performance Monitor
- BikeErg Product Manual with Performance Monitor Quick Start Guide
- Tools and instructions for assembly included
- Made In USA
- Product Weight
- 58 LB
- Steel Notes
- Welded aluminum frame, steel feet, black powder coat frame, gray anodized posts.
- Foot Print
- 48” x 24”
- Drive System
- Belt Drive