The best training tools are often the most simple.
The slamball is the epitome of a simple training tool that can completely wreck you. Unlike a barbell that requires maintenance and evenly distributed plates, and can't be thrown down, the slam ball is always ready to be picked up and thrown to the ground.
I've taken my slamball all over, whether that be a football field, stadium runs, when I go out of town and want to have something heavy to workout with, and most often just to use in my front yard (neighbors love me.)
Ross Enamait of RossTraining.com (check it out) has a phrase he uses a lot and it is “you are never gymless.” It's a very simple phrase that applies directly to DIY equipment.
If you want it bad enough you will make it happen. This slam ball is very cheap to make if you know how to do it and can be one of the best training tools in your garage.
What You Will Need:
- One 16″ Kickball (Amazon is the best place for this.)
- 100 lbs. of sand. (You can use less, but 100 lbs. is the most I could fit in the ball)
- One Tire Patch Kit (I purchased mine from Amazon)
Total Price $15 – $30
- Take the Xacto Knife and cut a hole just big enough for the end of the funnel to fit in.
- Insert funnel in the hole and begin pouring sand. (takes about 5-10 mins, much easier with two people.)
- Once the slamball is at your desired weight take your sandpaper and sand around the hole to allow the tire patch to stick.
- Apply rubber cement that comes with the Tire Patch Kit and place the largest tire patch over the hole making sure to press and stick the entire patch to the ball.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slam dat' ball!
- Do 100 med ball squat cleans and EMOM (Every Minute on the Minute) do 5 burpees.
- Do 1 power clean with the slamball, 1 squat clean, 1 squat clean and jerk slam EMOM for 15 minutes.
- AMSAP (As Many Slams As Possible) in 10 minutes.
- Do 1 wall ball (trust me, you won't be able to do one 😉 )
View this post on Instagram
DIY 100# Slamball complex. Instructions up on the site later today. #fitfam #gymflow #garagegym#streetparking #HIIT #beastmode #squats #fitlife #train #beast #crossfit #fitnessaddict #gym #powerlifting #motivation #crossfitgames #weightlifting #grid #olympicweightlifting #usaw #npgl
Honestly, this ball can take quite a bit abuse.
I don't like to be careful when I train and I don't think you really should be. You should be focused on your form and your effort, not your equipment.
If you were to buy a 100 pound slam ball online you'd pay around $300 mainly because shipping 100 lbs. of anything is expensive. If you don't believe me on the cost look around.
Make this ball, use it, abuse it, and become stronger. IT'S THAT SIMPLE.
Stay Strong, Live Long,